Saturday, May 29, 2021

Rape-Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD)

Originally published in 2012.

This morning was peaceful and pleasant. I planted some cucumbers, and some other plant I can't pronounce or spell. It has pretty little flowers, doesn't require too much water or good soil. It's supposed to chase away the squash bugs that destroyed my huge cucumber, cantaloupe, and pumpkin plants last summer. I planted some pansies too. My older daughter stayed home today, she wanted to read C.S. Lewis's Prince Caspian. I stole it from her when she wasn't looking. I sat down in my little garden room in the warm sun and began to read. Fauns, dwarfs, and little aggressive mice. Four little children, two boys, two girls on a wonderful adventure in a far away world. I was surprised by how much of the story I forgot. Suddenly, as I m reading, disgusting images fill my mind. I feel like vomiting, my face writhes in disgust. I feel sick inside as I remember and I experience a full body cringe. Shaking my head briskly, I just put it out of my mind, and go back to reading. I finished the book and returned it to my daughter. I went outside, adjusted my apple tree, and sorted through my summer vegetable seeds. My daughter and I left to raid the stores of their discount seed racks. Rape-Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD) Sometimes it takes a while for RR-PTSD to develop. Sometimes it's instant. There are many phases, symptoms, and challenges those of us who suffer from it face. Redirecting my thoughts is a key to survival and functioning. When my mind was suddenly overcome with a grotesque memory, I went back to business as quickly as I could. I found things of beauty. I planted something I valued in the hopes of something good coming from them. I went back to my life, my garden, my children. In the past, those flashbacks used to completely disable me. I could feel the complete shame, degradation, physical pain, his eyes, hear every word he spoke, the confusion. Most people can't understand why spousal rape is harder to recover from than stranger rape. With spousal rape, the man who took pleasure in degrading you is the same man who lifted you up and spun you over his head in romantic joy while dating. He's the man you sacrificed for. He's the man who covenanted to love and protect you. In the LDS church, he's your eternal companion. Your children are bound to him. You have a need to work things out, help him overcome his weaknesses. At the same time, you are overwhelmed with fear, shame, and inescapable powerlessness. With spousal rape, you live in the world of the rapist. They define your life. Because he defines your world, you have to help him get better, so your own world can get better. He replaces both God and self. Until you escape. I watched a PBS special on a woman who was raped by two strangers. After they were sentenced, years later she had to attend their parole hearings once a year to plead for the prison not to release them. It showed how much it traumatized her each year. Man, that's nothing. Few spousal rapists are ever convicted, caught or reported. Countless women cope and share children with the man who raped them. These women live in a split confusing reality. With spousal rape, the more intense the relationship, the more painful and challenging the recovery. My advise for coping and recovery, gardening and chocolate. I just don't believe gardening can be beat. You walk outside, feel the sunlight, plant something that will grow, feed you or beautify your new world. If a plant misbehaves, you can just tie it up. Brother Brigham said we are supposed to make the whole earth as the Garden of Eden. I m starting with my yard. The dishes in my sink can wait. There is no joy for me in washing those dishes. But flowers, trees, soft grass under the toes, they define a new beautiful world I can have power in.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for writing this. i was date raped and thats how i lost ,y virginity and then i ended up in a domestic violence relationship with a guy that raped me all the time. hed force me to do things i didnt want to do, degrade me etc. it has all affected my ability to function in a normal loving relationship...but it helps a lot to read about how others are learning to cope with it. I saw a psychiatrist for a year and was put on disability with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. He said that the guys that did that to me were class A psychopaths. I told him that I thought that psychopaths kill people and he said yes they do sometimes but they get pleasure out of hurting and/or humiliating them too. I'm glad that you escaped...and so did I...and don't worry...the Lord knows what happened and we'll be ok. God bless you and have a happy holiday season.

naught but wasted energy said...

Thanks for this. I was raped a long time ago and have not been able to talk about it - not even to a counsellor.

I was shocked by your blog - having not really thought that anything could be worse than my experience it never occurred to me that being able to get away from the rapist was an advantage to me. I'm sorry you've been through this terrible protracted experience and I'm amazed that you remain so sane.

I'm now in my 3rd counselling relationship and I THINK I've found someone who can help me. She quietly let me know she's been through this too and we're doing art therapy. The process is very slow; sometimes I can't talk for weeks, sometimes I can't stop, but I hope it ends somewhere with peace and that the constant undermining fear and feeling that I'm disintegrating will go away.

I hope you have kindness and help in your life too. I think you may be in America, I'm in England, but the differences between us and these awful men don't seem to be very great. I send love and wish you luck and a gorgeous garden.

Cathie Smith said...

I am so glad to read someone else has walked in my shoes, however I am deeply sad that I am not the only one I am grateful for someone to understand my pain.
After 10 years of marriage I woke up to realize the many years of what I thought was nightmares were actually a way of avoiding that my husband was raping me as I slept. We have four children together and now have been sealed in the temple. I have taught my children that we are a forever family, that we are all sealed for eternity and nothing will take them from their parents. Because I love them so much...I stay because I can't take them all from a wonderful father. I read how people are raped and victimized...but it is different when I look into his eyes and he says he is sorry and I believe him. He is a wonderful father, excellent provider and great person aside from this one problem. It has taken nearly a year for all this to sink in and now I am beginning to notice things about me are different...and I can't control it.
I can't show him affection...when we sleep I fear even loving on him will arouse him and I don't want to have sex with him. Aside from that...I have rebelled against my current temple recommend. I am constantly thinking of having sex with another man...no particular in mind...to feel the sense of control over another. Yet, I have no desire to have sex with my husband.
Saying he raped me makes him sound terrible...but all this grief, loss and pain I feel is no different than the rape I experienced when I was raped before I met my husband. I actually feel more pain because I can't say it's not my fault...or say it's easy to leave. I have four children that will be affected greatly if I leave. I have no education or job history as I am a homemaker. I hurt so bad....and I have no one to lean on. There are no support groups or pain pills for this...
He has stopped since I caught him and has asked forgiveness...but I can't. I see he has only stopped because he knows I will press charges if I feel he raped me. I thought a temple marriage would protect me from such a disaster and all I can hope for at this point is that I can just forgive him and move on.....I don't garden and I don't eat chocolate...

Natalie Fleming said...

Cathy, is your husband doing this in his own sleep or is he aware of what he is doing? There is a form of parasomnia (sleep behavior like sleep walking) called sexomnia. It's a genuine sleep disorder that can be treated. Understand that you are not responsible for his behavior in any way or form. He his completely accountable for his own actions.

There is counseling avail for you. Most communities have free rape counseling. Call your local rape crisis center.

Unknown said...

I would love to talk with Cathy. The same thing happened to me. Is there a way you can answer me?
Karen

Unknown said...

Hi...This is for the woman who has been raped in her sleep. I endured years of this. They are fully aware. I feel the same way as you do..
I am paralyzed by him. We still live in the same house. Two teenage kids. He refuses counseling. I went for 4 years of it. I am still traumatized by the whole thing....