Thursday, October 28, 2010

Testifying against the Abuser in Court

I received a phone call today from a friend.  She was scared and stressed about a criminal court hearing coming up in a couple of weeks against her husband.  She was afraid because he was playing good boy with church friends, and persuading them that she was crazy. 

Never mind the fact it was witnesses who called the police.

She was getting upset and worried about how he would attach her in court, and bring friends to testify against her.

I reminded her that she has no children to bind her to him.

I reminded her that they were married too short a time to worry about dividing assets in the divorce.

I reminded her that once the divorce goes through she could say goodbye to him forever.

Thus, she really didn’t need to worry about the consequences to her of the hearing.

I reminded her that SHE was NOT on trial!  He, the Abuser was on trial.

I asked her to call the county Victim Witness coordinator, that most counties have them.

She gets to walk away from the hearing, regardless of whether or not he was found guilty.  She has nothing to fear.

She can testify freely, and tell the truth.

No comments: